CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 26, 2007

A little info....

So many questions.....I hope that this clears up a few things.

We have asked to adopt a little girl between the ages 3 and 5. We will not know anything about her until we get our call to travel to the Ukraine. The Ukraine process is a little different than the others, you get to select you own child, instead of one being picked for you. This happens when we travel to the Ukraine and go to the Adoption Center there. They will show us some books with pictures, medical info, info on the child's past...whatever they have available to share. We pick ONE child from this book and travel to the region when the orphanage is. Once there we get to meet and interact with the child that we asked to meet. If we would like to adopt her, we then do paperwork and wait for a court date, if we choose not to adopt the child we met we go back to the Adoption Center and start over with the books. The biggest problem with that is you have to have a new appointment with the Center and that could take a while to get. Most people do adopt the first child that they meet.

The entire Ukraine process should take between 4-6 weeks. I will travel with Ed until we get through the court date. After that, Ed will return home and my dad will join me. There is a 10 day mandatory waiting period after your court date. During this time I will be able to go the orphanage and play with our daughter. There is also a ton of paperwork(visas, passports, birth certs) to be done. Ed does not need to be with us at this time, so he will come home to be with the boys(and get back to work!) We asked my dad to join me so that I am not alone and he seems eager to do so! He has even completed all the shots needed to safely travel to this very foreign country! Thanks Dad!!! ;0)

I hope that this clears up some of the who, what, wheres that you all have. Last word is that our paperwork has been sent for translation to the Ukraine.......more waiting. I guess that I will get started on decorating a pretty pink room!! I can't wait.

Have a fantastic New Year!! I can't wait for 2008 and all the adventures ahead!
Kristina

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristina, Congrats on your decision to adopt from Ukraine. I'd love to chat with you more. The process you described is actually the OLD process under the OLD "NAC" (National Adoption Center) in Kiev. The new SDA handles things differently. If you're working with an agency, I hope they'll give you more up-to-date information soon. If you're working with a Ukrainian facilitator, they should have the most up-to-date information available for you also. The process you described ended back in January 2007 (at the latest).

Anonymous said...

You are an absolutely wonderful person. Wishing you love and happiness.