I will start with the bad because that is what this is journey seems to be all about!
I am sad to say that things did not go well on Friday. It was a very long and emotional day- as this whole trip has been. We took the overnight train to Slovansk and meet the first inspector and then on to the Orphanage to meet the older child. She was PERFECT for our famliy in every way. Long dark hair, striking eyes and a smile that melted our hearts. She was shy, but playful. She enjoyed the sweets and stuffed dog that we brought for her. Hugging and kissing it and making it bark. We spent 5 hours being thrown about by the Director, whom obviously did not want to part with girl, but in the end she warmed to us. We said goodbye to the sweet girl and made our journey to the next inspector and orphanage. There were were presented with the cute 4 years old. She ran right to us, smiling and laughing, even though they had woken her from her nap. (Now the yucky part) However, she has several serious medical issues that Ed and I both believe would have been too much for us to handle. We had intended on adopting both girls, IF they had no serious medical concerns. We have heard that it might be possible to seperate siblings- IF they think that is in the best interest of BOTH children. We told them that we would be interested in adopting the older- with out a doubt. The problem is you have to convince them that it was in the childrens best interest to be seperated. This is almost impossible and it was impossible. They would not seperate them- for several reasons that I will not go into. Needless to say, Ed and I were crushed. We truly believe that it was in the best interest of both girls to be seperated because both needed a lot of one-on-one attention in order to reach their potential. The six yo was more like a 4 yo and the 4yr old like a 2 yo (with lots of medical needs). We knew that we could give the older a wonderful home, but to adopt both would really put a lot of pressure on our entire family. It would not be the best chioce for any of us. It is sad because we really could see this girl in our family. We bonded with her, and she enjoyed us as well. I could tell by the way she ran to Ed with the dog we gave her, smiling and speaking fast in Ukrainian. It was very cute. But no matter what we thought, they would not let us adopt her. SOOOOOOO....we are at a loss. We have not had much support from the people that we are PAYING a lot of money to to help us through this journey. We were hoping that they would have this great plan as to what to do, but all we have heard is "October 13 we can have a second appointment and MAYBE they will have a girl for us." Maybe. MAYBE!?!??!?!?! They told us that there are NO girls in the system that are adoptable right now, and they close for a week, so our hands are tied. We feel strongly that we should count our losses (which in reality are very few having seen what we have since arriving here). But that does not make us feel much better. I can not imagine being here until the end of Novemeber, alone because Ed would have to leave on the 24th of October. We have not made any decision yet, but I would suspect that we are coming home.
We are ok with this. I am ok with this. We have had the CRAZIEST week of our lives traveling half way across the world. Since we got on the plane in Atlanta last week it has been a battle. Not ONE thing has gone right. We missed days of sleep and food -which we all know makes Ed a crazy man! :)- We have seen (and smelled things) that I hope to never see or smell again. We have not showered in two days(gross) and feel like we are constantly in motion- the train is very bumpy and after two night on that I am not sure if the motion sickness will ever go away! We have no help, not the people we pay to help us, or the people we shake hands with- with "full" hands.(read between the lines here.....). While I do believe that some people really do want to help the children, I also think that as many don't care about the kids and only about themselves. We knew the potential of not finding a child, although we prayed it would not happen to us.
And now the good news...... :)
Ed and I have learned a lot about ourselves, eachother and our family. Like I said, we have seem some pretty bad, sad, things this week. It makes you put things at home into perspective. We have two amazing boys, a beautiful home and community, and luxuries that we often take for granted. We see how good we ALL have it to live in such a great country- even though it has it own share of problems. We have more things available to us than we will even need in life. They can't even put the heat on when it is cold, it is Goverment controlled so they have to wait until they decide to put it on...and then it it 100 degress in the house because the don't regulate it! We are blessed every day. Ed and I know that our lives are changed forever having seen what we have seen and done what we have done. We have no regrets, whatever may happen. None. It is a lesson to us and the boys as well. I think that we are all learning that no matter what you do, no matter if you follow all the rules and do what is asked of you, you can't always get what you want BUT life goes on. What you make of it from that point on, is up to you.
We want to thank everyone who has supported us along this journey. Your words mean more to us than you will ever know. Your emails, comments and advice has given us something to look forward to when we start up the computer. Thank you.
I will post as soon as we decide what to do. We are in Kiev and will enjoy sight-seeing and souvenier shopping for the time being.
Love, Kristina
Here are a few things that I wanted to share that have nothing to do with nothing, but we thought they were funny or interesting:
1. While in JFK we saw a women put a diaper on a dog. Seriously. It was a Yorkie. She put the diaper on it and them walked it around on a lease. Changed the diaper, wiped the dogs paws with a baby wipe and then put the dog in it's carry-purse.
2. We learned a new word "Texican". We ate at an Irish Pub in Kiev that used the word "Texican" in it description of a meal. Ed and I have decided that we like that word so much, we will use it often. :0)
3. The women here all wear shorts skirts and VERY high, skinny heal, BOOTS. High to the knee or over the knee boots. Think Julia Roberts, Pretty Women. The sidewalks and roads are not easy to walk on. They are hilly, broken, cracked and sometimes cobblestone like. I have no idea how they do it. I think that this might be a new sport for the next olympic games. The craziest part is that I have seen young girls (as young as 9/10) walking around in the same thing. They start them young here.
Thats all for now- we are going out for Pizza!! Yum!- oh - I am not spell checking so please forgive me.... ;) Ed says "hello" to everyone! :)
Saturday, September 27, 2008
The good and the bad.....
Posted by The D'Antuono Family at 5:15 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









11 comments:
Im so sorry that you are having such difficulty. It's so hard and frustrating that it is out of your hands and not in your control. I hope the next leg of your trip brings more success. We are still praying for your family, and think of all of you often.
Love,
Your Jersey Family
Cory, Jen, Joey and AJ
Kris, I am so sorry :( I have been getting updates from your parents, but to read it from your own words is heart breaking. I hope that you find osme good news on Monday from the agencies you are dealing with.
Kristin...I am so sorry for what you are going through. I'm sorry to say, though, I know exactly what you're going through. I would like to encourage you to think about waiting for the second appointment.
We endured the same heartache during our search for Maddie (http://findingmaddie.blogspot.com). We decided to sit it out and wait for our second appointment, because we knew if we went home we wouldn't be coming back. It turns out we never did have a second appointment...our facilitator was able to find us a child to meet (through some other connections) and she turned out to be Maddie.
Its an incredibly LONG story...but we ended up coming home in between meeting her and our court date which cut down on the amount of time we stayed in country. Also during the winter the airline tickets were SO much cheaper, it made it more doable.
I know the decision you are making is heart-wrenching...and in the end you and your husband will have to make the one that is right for your family.
If I can help answer any questions, please feel free to email me at six sunflower seeds at gmail dot com.
Blessings to you all!
Kristina & Ed,
I am so sorry this has not been a smooth trip for you. Maybe it is God's plan you will meet your child on the second appointment? There have been families that have had great success on the second appointment. Is it possible to come home and return for the second appointment?
Oh Kristina, I am so sorry things have been so rough, but I am still praying for you guys. Good luck and I hope you can feel all the positive vibes from over here.
Michele Jones
Oh Kristina... I am so sorry to hear that. I know it doesn't really matter what I think, but I think you should wait for the next appointment. Maybe you could come home in the interim, and then go back for the court date? I could go with you :). I know it's very upsetting and discouraging, but you have made it sooo far.. Just one more appointment. I am so sorry Kristina, and you and Ed are the only ones who know what is absolutely best for the whole family! Let me know if there is anything at all that I can do.
♥
Lindsey E.
Hi, I found your blog through Heather's. I haven't met her personally, just through email.
I am sorry that things didn't work out. You really realize that things are totally out of your control when you are over there. God only knows why things turn out the way they do.
BTW - 'Texican', to us natives anyway, means a special kind of mexican food. lol Fajitas are an example. I wonder if the restaurant really used it properly? Was it O'Brien's? The 'pizza' place we went to certainly didn't know what spaghetti was!!
June
Kristina,
I am heartbroken after reading your blog today but also astounded by your strength and ability to find positives in this changing situation. I can't imagine how out of control you must feel. Please know that I will continue to pray for you, Ed, and your beautiful boys.
Susan
also...
Thank you for the new word Texican. I will try to use this as often as I can....
Kristina and Ed,
I am terribly sorry for you guys. I can't imagine the emotions that you guys feel right now. Often times, we forget that God knows what is best for us and our families. He has other plans for those precious sisters and for you two. Remember, you do have two beautiful boys who will be spoilt rotten with the love and life you two have provided for them. I pray that your second meeting is a little easier for you two and that God's plan for you guys will be clear.
I'll keep you my prayers.
OK, girl. Time to hold onto each other and follow your hearts. Then one foot in front of the other....
Prayers comin' atcha 'til you're home.
Breder
I have been following your blog and I am so sorry to hear about your dissapointment. We adopted our daughter last December from Slavansk. You are the first person I have found who have looked at children from Slavansk. I am curious if it is the same orphanage. Again, I am so very sorry. I will pray that God will give you the wisdom and the strength in your decision on staying for a second appointment or coming home. God bless! My email is Melissarmay2000@yahoo.com
Post a Comment