First, I will say sorry that it took so long for me to post. We are just settleing in to what will hope to be a few promising weeks.
To begin with we traveled 30 hours to arrive in the Ukraine on Monday at 9pm. We were delayed in Atlanta for several hours, missed out conecting flight in JFK, only to have to take a flight from JFK to Paris and then on to the Ukraine. After some- well lots- of confussion with our "lost" luggage that was actually in the Ukraine before us, we finally arrived to our apartment in Kiev around 10:30 pm. Needless to say, it was a very long Sunday and Monday for us. We are happy, comfortable and doing well despite all of that.
I guess I could go on and on about what we are doing, the food and such, but I am sure you want me to get to the APPOINTMENT!!!!! It was a dreary, rainy and cool morning on Tuesday, our appointment was at 11. We decided to walk to the SDA with our translator since we had not had fresh air in two days. It was a nice walk, just few block on a cobblestone sidewalk. The air was damp, cool and crisp. It was calming. We arrived at the SDA and waited just few moments before going inside. While we were inside I heard these words "Are you Kristina's husband?" - I immedietly thought- OM, do I have a friend in the Ukraine???? And as I turned I saw a beautiful women with a warm smile. It was a new friend that I have meet thru our blogs. Heather Smith. She had her appointment on Monday. (Thanks for meeting us, Heather. It was the best surprise yet!) She gave me some quick advice before we were called upstairs for our appointment. The room was small, filled with desks and two couches and a small round table. Ed and I sat on one couch, the translator sat on another, and the pshycologist sat across from all of us. She was a pretty women(as most of the Ukrainian women are). She has long dark hair and a comforting smile. She let us say a few things about ourselves, I showed her the book I made for our daughter, and then the two women talked back and fourth. We sat there as she began to take files out. Files of sick little girls. AIDS, FAS, deep mental delays, small head(really, no joke, probably a sign of FAS). We were very discouraged UNTIL I put my two fingers on my check as a sign to Ed to pull out the "sisters" card. I spoke with our translator and told her that we would be willing to accept TWO healthy girls! SURPRISE!!! So, we are going to visit a 4 year old and a 6 1/2 year old. They are half sisters. One may have an issue that we will have to address, but it is too ealry to get into all of those details. I will not give out anymore information out until after we meet these girls on Friday. We are taking the train to Donets'k on Thursday. It is an overnight ride, and a two hour drive to the town once we get in the region. I will say that both girls are beautiful. One is dark hair, dark eyes- the 6yo and the 4yo is lighter hair and dark eyes. The pictures that we were shown were not recent, so they may look different when we see them. They both have sweet, engaging eyes. We smiled the moment that we saw the files. Our hearts are open to them. We hope and pray that they will be ours. Fingers crossed.
I hope that makes sense to everyone. I am a little off my game, but I am adjusting.
What happens now...........we will tarvel by train to the region. From there we will go to the town they are in. They are in two different orphanages, because of the age differnce. At that time we will meet with doctors, the directors and the care givers of the children. We will have a more detailed file about their history, family and medical. We are hoping that we will have the weekend to decide if we will accept the referrals and adopt the girls. I will let you all know AFTER we have talked with the boys.
My parents and the boys are all doing well. We talk to them everyday after school. We miss them terribly, but know that they are happy and doing great. My parents are doing fine also. Besides a few things with homework, everything seems to be going well. Thanks Mom and Dad! We can't say it enough how thankful we are that you are helping us. You are making this all possible for us! Thanks! We love you.
Here are just a few pictures that we have taken thus far........
Me- somewhere in the Ukraine..... Our kitchen.........SUPA fancy!! :)
Ed- chillin' on the couch in his new hat and a picture of St. Michael's Church
We will post better pictures tomorrow- or as soon as possible. The weather has not been great. Rain, clouds and cool, the the pictures are not good that we took.
OK- that is all for tonight. I will post again- if we have connection.
One small request...please continue to pray for us and these two little girls that we hope will be as perfect for our family as we hope. And, if I may, please pray for my friend Heather. She is hear without her husband and hoping to adopt twins. She is facing a battle of her own. She needs as much support and prayers as possible. Thanks for all the love! We feel it way out here in the Ukraine.
Don't forget to comment on the blog- internet costs a lot, so the faster I can get on and off, the better!!! :)
Happy Birthday, Grandma Tilly!
Ed says "Hello" to everyone! :)
All our love- Kristina and Ed
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Oh what a journey we are on!!!!
Posted by The D'Antuono Family at 3:11 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









22 comments:
AAHHH!!!! YAY!!! omg, 2 girls!! What will you name the other one??? Which one will be "K"? What a blessing this is for you all! You are all in my thoughts and prayers (Heather included). Your apt. looks cute. Much better than the concrete cell I had imagined in my head (ok, so i live my life in tvland!! LOL!!). Keep the faith, this will all work out the way it's supposed to.
Best of luck! Miss you and can't wait to hear more!
Love,
Michelle
OMG! How Wonderful!!! Good Luck and I am thinking of you and PRAYING!!!!!
I wish you all the BEST!!!!
Michele Jones
We are praying for you guys and the precious little girls you are about to meet!
Jennifer and Ashley Regan
Squealing with delight over here in Texas - can you hear me????
Ella was in Donets'k - it's a great and quick region! Remind Ed
27 is the magic number!
Kristina!! I am so excited for you guys!!!! I am praying every night that you are led to the child(ren) that need you the most, and it sounds like that is just what is happening! I just knew that you would end up with 2 :) How wonderful!! If that ends up being the case, let me know and Will and I can go over to your house and help your parents set up the bunk beds and get a new bed and all that stuff, so that it will be ready for when the princesses get home! Good thing for all those Target trips huh!! Hahaha! I am so excited for you guys I am gitty! :) Good luck meeting the little angels! Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help!!! Love you guys!
Lindsey E.
Kristina, How exciting! I hope these two beautiful girls will be yours....... I have been thinking of you, Ed and the boys constantly. What an exciting turn of events to possibly have TWO!!!! I LOVE big families!
Susan Rokke
Wow, Kris! It's REAL, isn't it?? Safe travels and I will be calling your mom for updates. Love you guys!
Praying for you as you travel into region and meet the girls. We were also in the Donetsk region, in the city of Mariupol (southernmost Donetsk).
Exciting news - praying for the best!
Jennifer
I am so very excited for you guys! Just a quick note. Nick came into the library this morning to tell me you were going to see two girls. I immediately told him they'd need to put another bed in that beautiful room, and his eyes got huge and he said, "Oh Yeah!" What great brothers they are going to be! Sending you guys and Heather love from Burnt Hickory Elementary! Can't wait to read more. :)
PRAYING FOR YOU GUYS.... I am so excited for you. I hope that everything goes in the right direction for you!!
Crystal Terry
Praying for peace and wisdom on this journey and hoping that the world of two little girls will be forever changed! God Bless!
How exciting! We'll be praying for you both. Praying for peace and absolute certainty in this decision. Enjoy the train ride! :)
OMG~ 2 older boys, 2 younger girls...sounds familiar!!!!! The girls are so excited that there could be 2 new cousins--more to love and play with! I am going to try to call you tomorrow, not sure if you'll be traveling or have service, but I'll try! Email me if there is a good time for me to call! We love you and are praying for you!
2 girls/2 boys worked for your family and mine growing up so seems to be a perfect fit for you and ed now!
how long have you had the 'sisters' card up your sleeve? you guys would be good poker players! lots of love-
laura
You are all in my thoughts and prayers. Wendy
Wow!! I got chills hearing that you may be coming home with two little angels! I do hope that the meeting goes well on Friday. I can't wait to hear how the meeting goes (maybe you'll have DOUBLE the amount of info to share)!!
wow!!! 2 girls!!! I have been checking this site everyday waiting for some news. I will pray for you guys. Stay strong and I am thinking of you all the time.
Love ya
Meri
We are praying for you and your family. We are very excited for you guys! How wonderful sisters!!! Can't wait to read more when you find out more. Miss and love you guys.
Love,
Jen and Cory
PS: your hair still looks great despite the rainy weather.
Hi Kris-
Sounds like it's already been an extraordinary journey for you and Ed. I'm thinking of you guys and sending all my love and good thoughts. I can't wait to read more.
ps - tell Ed he's stylin in the hat
xoxo
Carly
Wow, what an exciting and tiring few days you have had! I am keeping you in my thoughts and hope you can come home soon with your daughter- or daughters! How exciting! Can't wait to hear more..... take care and also try to relax and enjoy yourselves a little.
Becky Schatz Bozarth
Sending big, BIG prayers across the ocean to you and any mommy looking for a child. I am confident that whatever road you have to travel to get there, life will lead you to the child(ren) meant to be yours.
You and Ed have climbed mountains together before - you got this!
I will also be sending super-hero strength prayers down to GA. I know your parents are going to need it!! If I can muster any, I'll also throw in some "remembering how to do algebra" prayers for good measure.
Man, if we only knew how much we would need our parents when we got older, we would have been nicer to them as teenagers, huh?
Much love to you and your (growing) clan. We'll be watching...
Jenn Kovac
Kristina & Ed, Hope all is well. WOW, two precious girls. You are in our prayers everyday. Nice hat Ed. Good luck....
Post a Comment