CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, September 28, 2008

We are coming home...

Ed and I have decided that it is in our best interest to come home. We will be home Monday evening.

We are sure that this is the right decision. We have no regrets about coming here, or coming home.

My only advice to families that are looking to adopt in the Ukraine: (this is JMO)
If you are looking for a specific age or gender, you may want to try a different country. We wanted a girl(or gilrs) under 7. We want to keep the bio order of our children, and we have two boys, so a girl is what we desire. It is very difficult to get exactly what you request. Older children are great, boys are great, but girl under 7, not so great. If you are flexible in your desire, than you will not be diappointed. However, if you are as limited as we are, than be careful. You may come home without a child. Also, be aware that the Ukraine has now set up a "foster care" system for Ukrainians to adopt more children- and they are. So this will also put a limit on who you might see. When we started this program 15 months ago, the Ukraine was a match for our request. I would say - it is no longer. We were told that the Ukrianian people like to and want to adopt younger, healthy girls. I did see stacks of boy files. We were not shown one healthy girl. Another thing that you have to keep in mind, is that if you read most of the blogs of families here now, they are getting older children, multiple children, special needs children or they have some sort of "goverment" delay(with court, passports...things like that). Be VERY prepared to stay here for some time to either get a second or third appt and to get thru their system of paperwork and such. Now this is JMO- and I do know of several families that have adopted children that were exactly what they requested. They are so blessed and lucky. I would say that is not the norm today. Maybe it will change again, it does seem to go in cycles here. If you are flexible, than you will do fine here. Just be careful, and sure that you prepare yourself for EVERY step of the journey. Be open, be prepared, be strong.

Ed and I are blessed with our two amazing boys waiting for us at home. It puts a lot into perspective for us, and helps ease the heart break a bit. If the Ukraine was my only hope for having a family, I am not sure that I would put all my eggs in their basket. Like I said, just be very careful. We followed all the rules, did what was asked of us, jumped through some hoops too, greased some hands but are still coming home without the little girl that we met and wanted to adopt so badly. The system that we were working with(and each "system" is different based off of the director, inspector, facilitator, translator, and region) was not in favor of the children. It was one that, JMO, was worried about quotas and jobs.

Yes, we could wait or come back in 3 weeks, but to be honest, we found the PERFECT child. They would not let us adopt her. I can not see staying here, or returning, when all they tell me is that they might have some girls by then. We want to get back to our boys. Right now, they are the most important things to us.

Thanks to everyone again, for all the love, support and prayers. We are a strong family and we know that, in time, we will all understand the meaning of this adventure.

I can't wait to snuggle those sweet boys of mine!!!

PS- Ed says "hello" to everyone. :)

Love, Kristina

10 comments:

Tami said...

Your family is in our thoughts and prayers. ((hugs))

Lindsey Eipper said...

Hey Kristina,
Now that you say that, I definitely think you guys are making the right desicion. You can only do so much. That is so ridiculous that they would not let you adopt the girl that was right for you and your family. There is just something wrong and corupt with that situation. And if they were going to let you travel half way around the world and not even show you one healthy girl, why would they show you one just because you waited another three weeks in their country? It doesn't sound like they have a compasionate bone in their body. Well I bet the boys are super excited that you are coming home early. I know Amelia sure is! She was crying yesterday because she wanted to go to your house and I told her that you guys weren't there. She was walking around the house crying, "MRRSS KRISTINNNNNNNAAAA MIIIIISSSTTTAA EEEEEEEDDDDD!" I wish I would have recorded it. But I am just sooooooo sorry that things worked out the way they did. It is just wrong. But they say everything happens for a reason.... Maybe one day that reason will be obvious... Well have a safe trip home and call me whenever you get home and settled and all that good stuff. We're all thinking about you guys! Love ya!

Lindsey E.

Kevin and Pam said...

Just so sorry it didn't work for you guys. You have great attitudes. I am sure God will bless you in some other ways!

Anonymous said...

Kristina, I have continued to think and pray for you. It is heartbreaking that you found the perfect girl and the system would not allow you to bring her home with you. I am amazed again at your optimistic outlook and gratefulness in the blessings of your two boys. I know they will be thrilled to have you back home. Have a safe trip home.
Susan Rokke

Kathy and Matt said...

I just came across your blog, and wanted to say how sorry I am about the outcome of your trip. Having gone through the journy in the last 8 months, I know how emotional it is, without this result.

Your family is in our prayers. I'm glad you're going to be able to hug those two boys soon!

Julie said...

I am heartbroken for your family. I know you're excited to see your boys, but it's got to be tough leaving without the daughter you went to find. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you pick up the pieces. You said it so well about being thankful for those 2 precious boys - what a blessing. I pray that God will reveal new and exciting blessings for your family very soon.
Julie

ArtworkByRuth said...

I can't imagine what you have been through, and although you sound like you are doing well-I am sure there are many unanswered questions. Praying for REST and wisdom on your next step! God Bless!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Praying for you guys.

adoptedthree said...

I am heartbroken for you and the little girl too.

Perhaps another door will open and your daughter will be there.

(Big Hug)

Unknown said...

Hi Kristina,

I am so sorry to hear that things did not work out for you and your husband. That must be incredibly disappointing after all the time, effort, and tears you have put into this endeavor. I am so so sorry for you. It seems you have a good attitude about the way things ended, and I am sure you are thrilled to be home. It must have been a difficult decision.

I agree things are very difficult in the Ukraine, as Heather and I were not shown many files either, especially not single girls.

I am home now, but Heather is still there. Things did not work out with the twins, but I don't feel it's my place to tell you the details. If you decide to call her, I would bet she would be thrilled to hear from you.

Meghan
(Heather's stepdaughter)
dr.meghan@gmail.com